The History of Augustana Lutheran Church
October 1, 1915-1916 First Negro Lutheran services held in Alexandria, Louisiana in the home of Mr. Eddie Evans, (in Hovell’s Alley) Alexandria, Louisiana with Rev. E.R. Berger from Napoleonville, Louisiana; thereafter worship services were held once a month until 1917.
1917-1922 Monthly worship services were discontinued, many Lutheran families moved to other areas. However, periodic worship services were held in Alexandria, Louisiana, by Rev. W. J. Trevalon, Pastor at St. Paul Lutheran Church, Mansura, Louisiana.
June 10, 1923 Worship services resumed every Sunday evening at the home of Mr. Eddie Joshua and Mrs. Gertrude Joshua. Regular missionary work began in the Alexandria area, at the request of Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCSM) missionary board.
September 1923 First Negro Lutheran Parochial School in Alexandria, Louisiana was established. The school was located in an empty corner store, on the corner of Lower Third Street and Leland Street. Mrs. Irene Anderson, from New Orleans, Louisiana was the teacher with a beginning enrollment of fifty-nine children.
September 1924 Rev. Eugene R. Berger was installed as the first permanent pastor of the newly organized congregation. The name Augustana was suggested by C.F. Drewes, Director of Missions Syndical Board for Missions. Membership: baptized members and confirmed adults-24, communicants-16. Worship services were held in an old house on the corner of Lower Third and Leonard Street.
1925 Augustana’s present location at 2732 Lower Third Street, Alexandria, Louisiana, between Williamson Street and Neal Alley was purchased by the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS) Missionary Board in the amount of $1879.00.
1926 Church membership had grown from 34 to 57. A new school project began. The projected cost of the new school was $6,000.00 Augustana’s Sunday school students and the day school students raised $3979.29. The additional balance needed for completion of the school was raised by Sunday school children of the English District of New York. The actual cost of the project was $5,989.00. Mr. J. J. Steher and Rev. C. Germant of Redeemer Lutheran Church, Alexandria, Louisiana assisted in the purchase of the land; they donated the lumber.
1927 Augustana Lutheran Church 2732 Lower Third Street, Alexandria, Louisiana dedication.
1930 Membership: 99
1932 Membership: baptized members 104, communicants 50, day school enrollment 107; Rev. and Mrs. Berger served as teachers.
July 26, 1936 Members surprised Rev. Berger at an evening worship service with a celebration in honor of his 25th Anniversary in the ministry.
1938 Ladies Aid (LWML) donated paint for improvements of interior of the church. Also, the LWML purchased new hymnals for the congregation.
1944 Sunday school attendance 106, day school enrollment- 133 children, staff- two teachers
1946 Interior of the church improved with funds donated from the lady’s aid
1950 Membership: baptized members 112, communicants 54, day school enrollment 78 children
1951 Men’s Club organized.
1954 Membership: baptized members -146, communicants-64, day school
enrollment 76, staff- two teachers
1957 Membership: baptized members, 146, communicants 70, Sunday school-66, staff-three teachers day school enrollment 67 students, staff-two teachers
1960 Vicar Beaufort installed to assist Rev. Berger.
June 2, 1962 Pastor Rev. Berger’s date of death
1962 Vacancy Pastor was Rev. Hellman (1962-1963) Redeemer Lutheran Church.
1963 Rev. Moses Clark accepted a call to Augustana and served as dual pastor to St. Paul, Mansura, Louisiana.
1965 Membership: baptized members 95, communicants 54, and Sunday school attendance 30, staff-three teachers; day school enrollment 36 children, teacher, Miss Lela Kidd.
1969 Rev. Clark accepted a call to Atmore, Alabama, Ebenezer Lutheran Church.
1969-1971 Augustana worship services conducted by Rev. L. E. Delgehausen. Membership: baptized members 90, communicants 60, Sunday school attendance 34 staff-3 teachers; Augustana’s Kindergarten established with fifteen (15) children.
August 1, 1971 Rev. Thomas Noon installed as pastor of Augustana and dual pastor of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Mansura, Louisiana.
October 1972 Augustana’s Day Care Center licensed by the state of Louisiana. Day Care Center received $2,500 grant from the LWML.
1973 The Lutheran Brotherhood Insurance Company donated $374.00. The Red
River Branch of Lutheran Brotherhood donated $200.00 to be utilized for improvements to the
day care center. 1st annual LWML tea held.
1974 Membership: baptized members 115,communicants 80 Church Council organized. Elders reorganized. Augustana Day Care Center student enrollment 40, staff members-five.
1976 Rev. Noon accepted a call to St. Paul Lutheran Church in Birmingham, Alabama.
1976-2012 Augustana has been served by several pastors and vicars:
Rev. Walter Schmidt
Layman Edmund Gonzales
Rev. Robert “Bob” Martinek (Respectively)
2012-present Rev. William H. Vogt